Last updated: 8th December 2020
This Messy Human Life, (“the Company”, “us”, “we”, or “our”), operates the website www.thismessyhumanlife.co.uk . We may change or add to this privacy notice, so we encourage you to come back and read it periodically. This Messy Human Life is the data controller that resides in 79 Commercial Road, Abercarn, Newport, Gwent, NP11 5AJ
This privacy notice governs the website This Messy Human Life informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal data when you use our Service and the choices you have associated with that data. Your privacy is very important to us.
DATA WE COLLECT
While using our site, we may ask you to provide us with certain personal data that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Data”). Personal Data may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address
- First name and last name
- Phone number
- Address, State, Province, ZIP/Postal code, City
For clients who work with the company, we may also collect further, voluntary information to enable us to provide our service in an optimized manner. Some data collected from clients may include:
- Sensitive Information
- Goals and Aspirations
- Emergency Contact Information
- Health Related Information
- Brief Session Notes
Information Collected Automatically
- Log & Device data. When you visit our site, we may automatically record information (“log data”), including information that your browser sends whenever you visit our site. This log data may include your web address you came from or are going to, your device model, operating system, browser type, unique device identifier, IP address, mobile network carrier, and time zone or location.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION (NON-CLIENT)
We may use information that we collect about you to:
- Provide our Products and Services. We will use your information to provide our products and services to you.
- Understand and improve our products. We will perform research and analysis about your use of, or interest in, our products, services, or content, or products, services or content offered by others. We do this to help make our products better and to develop new products.
- Communicate with you. We may send you emails about new product features or other news about us or on topics we think would be relevant to you. You may opt out of these at any time. Visit the Your Choices section below.
- Responding to your requests. We will also use your information to respond to your questions or comments.
We may develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests on our products and services on our site and on other sites;
We also may use your information to manage our business or perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
Sharing and Disclosure
We do not share your personal information with others except as indicated within this policy or when we inform you and give you an opportunity to opt out of having your personal information shared.
We will share your information in the following ways
- With third party service providers, agents, or contractors. We use other companies, agents or contractors (“Service Providers”) to perform services on our behalf or to assist us with providing services to you. For example, we may engage Service Providers to process credit card transactions or other payment methods. Or, we may engage Service Providers to provide services such as marketing, advertising, communications, infrastructure and IT services, to provide customer service, to collect debts, and to analyse and enhance data (including data about users’ interactions with our service). These Service Providers may have access to your personal or other information in order to provide these functions. In addition, some of the information we request may be collected by third party providers on our behalf. We do not authorize them to use or disclose your personal information except in connection with providing their services.
Analytics: Specifically for analytics providers, we use Google Analytics Google Analytics which is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Service. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
Please note at this time, we do not recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include “do not track” instructions.
Facebook: You can learn more about interest-based advertising from Facebook by visiting this page: https://www.facebook.com/help/164968693837950
To opt-out from Facebook’s interest-based ads follow these instructions from Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/help/568137493302217
To see more about Facebook’s participation in the Digital Advertising Alliance please visit the Choices section of this notice.
For more information on the privacy practices of Facebook, please visit Facebook’s Data Policy: https://www.facebook.com/privacy/explanation
Payment Providers: We may provide paid products and/or services within the site. When we do, we use third-party services for payment processing (e.g. payment processors). We will not store or collect your payment card details. That information is provided directly to our third-party payment processors whose use of your personal information is governed by their own privacy notice. The payment processors we work with adhere to the standards set by PCI-DSS as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council, which is a joint effort of brands like Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover. PCI-DSS requirements help ensure the secure handling of payment information.
The payment processors we work with are:
Links to Other Sites
We may have links on our site to other sites that we do not operate. If you click on a third party link, you will be taken directly to that site which is governed by its own privacy notice. We strongly encourage you to read that privacy notice. We do not control that site and assume no responsibility for the content, policies or its practices.
This Messy Human Life will retain your Personal Data only for as long as is necessary for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice. We will retain and use your Personal Data to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations (for example, if we are required to retain your data to comply with applicable laws), resolve disputes, and enforce our legal agreements and policies.
This Messy Human Life will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our Service, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods.
Choices and Individual Rights:
We aim to take reasonable steps so you can correct, amend, delete or limit the use of your Personal Data.
You have the following choices:
- E-mail. As described above, if you do not wish to receive promotional e-mails from us, you may opt out at any time.
- Your browser’s help function should contain instructions on how to set your computer to accept all cookies, to notify you when a cookie is issued, or to not receive cookies at any time.
- You can opt out of online targeted advertising by opting out within the advertisement itself or by visiting Digital Advertising Alliance, http://www.aboutads.info/, the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada in Canada http://youradchoices.ca/ or the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance in Europe http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/. You can also opt out of the Digital Advertising Alliance using your mobile device settings.
Your rights under certain circumstances:
To access and receive a copy of the Personal Data we hold about you.
To rectify any Personal Data held about you that is inaccurate
To request the deletion of Personal Data held about you
You have the right to data portability for the information you have provided to us. You can request to obtain a copy of this information in a commonly used electronic format so that you can manage and move it. We will need to verify your identity before being able to respond to such requests. Please contact us at naomi@thismessyhumanlife
We believe we use reasonable administrative, logical, physical and managerial measures to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft and unauthorized access, use and modification. Unfortunately, no measures can be guaranteed to provide 100% security. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee the security of your information.
Our policy on children’s information
Our site is not directed to children under 16. If you learn that your minor child has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us.
Changes to the Policy
We may change this policy from time to time, and if we do make changes, we’ll post any changes on this page. If you continue to visit our site after those changes are in effect, you agree to the revised policy. If the changes are significant, we may provide more prominent notice or get your consent on the new policy.
If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please contact us at naomi@thismessyhumanlife
Last updated: 8th December 2020
What are cookies
Cookies are small pieces of text sent to your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the Service or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the Service more useful to you.
Cookies can be “persistent” or “session” cookies. Persistent cookies remain on your personal computer or mobile device when you go offline, while session cookies are deleted as soon as you close your web browser.
When you use and access the Service, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser.
- To enable certain functions of the Service
- To provide analytics
We use both session and persistent cookies on the Service and we use different types of cookies to run the Service:
- Analytics cookies. We may use analytics cookies to track information how the Service is used so that we can make improvements. We may also use analytics cookies to test new advertisements, pages, features or new functionality of the Service to see how our users react to them.
In addition to our own cookies, we may also use various third-parties cookies to report usage statistics of the Service, deliver advertisements on and through the Service, and so on.
What are your choices regarding cookies
Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.
- For the Chrome web browser, please visit this page from Google: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050
- For the Internet Explorer web browser, please visit this page from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835
- For the Firefox web browser, please visit this page from Mozilla: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored
- For the Safari web browser, please visit this page from Apple: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21411?locale=en_US
- For any other web browser, please visit your web browser’s official web pages.
Where can you find more information about cookies
You can learn more about cookies and the following third-party websites:
- AllAboutCookies: http://www.allaboutcookies.org/
- Network Advertising Initiative: http://www.networkadvertising.org/
This policy may be changed at any time at This Messy Human Life’s discretion. If we should update this policy, we will post the updates to this page on our Website.
This policy was last updated: 8th December 2020
79 Commercial Road, Abercarn, Newport, Gwent, NP11 5AJ
Terms of Service for Therapy
- Sessions must be paid for 24hrs in advance. If you have a Monday session it must be paid for by the previous Friday.
- There is a minimum of 24 hr cancellation notice. Where possible a session may be re-arranged. Where payment has been made and 24hr cancellation has not been given then we hold the right to retain the fee.
- Sessions start and finish at the pre-arranged times. If after 20 minutes of the session start time the client cannot be contacted or has not been in contact, the session will end and the fee retained.
- In the case that the therapist cannot make the appointment, where possible 24hr notice will be given and the session re-arranged. If a suitable date and time cannot be found a refund will be issued.
- Sessions are held in a private environment ensuring your privacy and confidentiality. It is in your best interest to ensure your environment is also private without interruption and you are physically safe
- Emails/requests for immediate sessions outside of normal office hours (9.30am to 6pm Monday to Thursday) are replied to the next working day. If you are in a crisis you should contact one of the organisations listed on the website.
- If either party experiences technical difficulties, after 10 minutes the therapist will contact the client via the given contact telephone number. The client will be given the option to continue over the phone or re-schedule.
- In order to protect both the client and the therapist it is not appropriate that there is no contact outside of the therapeutic relationship
- Requests for friendships on Social Media platforms, comments on posts or blogs will not be responded to.
- When attending online video sessions both parties should be appropriately dressed and in the appropriate environment.
- Clients should not attend sessions under the influence of drink or drugs. If it becomes clear that the client is under the influence the therapist will terminate the session and the fee will be retained. It will be up to the client to contact the therapist for further sessions.
Breach of Security/Privacy
In the event that security or privacy is breached This Messy Human Life will
- Promptly inform you of anything that has gone wrong in our work together
- Take immediate action to prevent or limit any harm
- Repair any harm caused, so far as possible
- Offer an apology where appropriate
- Notify my Supervisor and discuss
- Investigate and take action to avoid whatever has gone wrong from happening again
- Holds a UK recognised counselling and psychotherapy qualification
- Is a member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and adheres to their Code of Ethics, Good Practice and Continued Professional Development (CPD) guidelines
- Holds valid Professional Liability and Indemnity Insurance
- Is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) as per The Data Protection Act (1998)
- Is based in the United Kingdom and is subject to the laws of England and Wales
Issues with This Messy Human Life
- If for any reason you are not happy with the service please contact me to discuss. If you feel we are not suited I may be able to sign post you to another therapist.
- If you have a grievance concerning my ability or conduct as a practitioner then please contact the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) about the BACP Professional Conduct Procedure
What inform is kept?
- Name, address, contact telephone number and email address
- Health information provided by you
- Health information provided by a healthcare professional/employer via a referral
- Emergency contact details (Please ensure this person is aware you are sharing this information)
- Brief session notes – topics discussed and actions taken.
What is it used for?
- To provide you with counselling services
- To contact you if sessions need to be cancelled or rearranged
- In case of an emergency
- To create anonymous information such as statistics on service users
- Payment/refund services
Disclosure of information
Your information is confidential and is not disclosed to a third party without
- Your informed consent
- Required by a court order
- To protect your safety or the safety of others
The exceptions as noted below
- I believe there is serious harm to you or others
- Prevention or detection of a serious crime including terrorism and child protection issues
- As a therapist I attend supervision sessions which ensures I am working to the best of my ability. It is a requirement of the BACP that I have regular sessions and there maybe times that subjects from client sessions will be discussed however your identity is confidential at all times.
How is information stored?
- Client information is stored on an encrypted file storage device which in turn is locked in a filing cabinet that only I have access to.
- All information that is kept digitally is password secured and compliant with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) guidelines.
- Therapy sessions are securely conducted via Vsee Messenger which is HIPAA compliant, no sessions whether video or messenger chat are recorded.
- Emails that are received via non-secure email providers will copied and stored digitally and then deleted from my email service provider.
After the end of therapy
- Client information is kept securely for 5 years on encrypted, password protected file storage without any identifying information
- After this time all records will be permanently deleted in a non-recoverable format.